Researchers have found that the average mum has to remember 25 different tasks every single day, with the majority admitting they do most of them in autopilot.
And making sure the children have everything they need for school, feeding the household pets and even remembering their youngster’s favourite cuddly toy are also included in the daily to-do list.
But nine out of ten busy mums admit they are often so snowed under, they usually forget to do something, with more than one in ten admitting this happens several times a day.
Another 30 per cent say something slips their mind once every day.
The poll of 3,000 mums found that dinner is most likely to be forgotten with almost 48 per cent of mums saying they often forget to take something out of the freezer to defrost.
Another 29 per cent forget to remember all of the ingredients they need to make the evening meal and end up having to make another trip to the shops or order in a takeaway.
Birthdays of friends and relatives, taking library books back and paying the bills are other common tasks which get forgotten.
And while 35 per cent blame their forgetfulness on simply being too busy, another 23 per cent say they are always in too much of a rush to remember everything.
Almost one in ten say they are often too tired to keep track of all the things they need to do.
But 18 per cent admit they always feel guilty when they forget something.
And more than one in five mums have even gotten into trouble with their child’s teacher or school because they have forgotten to do something.
Researchers also discovered that almost two thirds of mothers feel under pressure from their family or other mums to remember everything in their daily routine.
And 48 per cent rely on lists to remember everything they need to do, while another 33 per cent put everything on the kitchen calendar.
Sixteen per cent even leave post-it notes around the house.
Top 25 things mums have to remember
1. Birthdays of friends and family members
2. Taking ingredients out of the freezer to defrost for the evening meal
3. Paying the bills
4. Doctor or dentist appointments
5. Getting the ingredients from the shop for the evening meal
6. Having clean shirts and trousers for kiddies
7. Packed lunches are made
8. Being on time for the school run
9. Feed the pets
10. If it is raining making sure they have a rain coat
11. Getting the kids to do their homework
12. Never leave the house without wet wipes, tissues and snacks in handbag
13. A drink is taken to school
14. Homework is taken to school
15. PE kits are taken to school on the right day
16. Getting the kids to do their reading
17. Packed lunches are taken to school
18. Permission slips for school clubs/day trips
19. School events such as fetes, shows etc
20. Taking library books back to the library/school library
21. Birthday parties for your children’s friends
22. Make sure they’ve taken their medications (hayfever etc)
23. The right books/textbooks are taken into school
24. Money for children’s school lunch
25. Making sure the child has their favourite comfort/cuddly toy
Top ten things mums are most likely to forget1. Taking ingredients out of the freezer to defrost for the evening meal
2. Birthdays of friends and family members
3. Getting the ingredients from the shop for the evening meal
4. Taking library books back to the library/school library
5. Paying the bills
6. Doctor or dentist appointments
7. Never leave the house without wet wipes, tissues and snacks in handbag
8. PE kits are taken to school on the right day
9. Permission slips for school clubs/day trips
10. Having clean shirts and trousers for kiddies
Source: One Poll